Thursday, October 23, 2008

A sign from God?

I interrupt the ongoing report from the fun weekend at Imiliwaha to bring the readers some important disaster weather-related news...

Last week the headmaster at St. Benedict's secondary school asked me if I could teach Physics to the third year students. I have some time free in my afternoons, and so I told him we could work something out. On Tuesday I went over to St. B's at around 3pm to meet with the Form 3 students to discuss various physics topics and decide when we would meet. Just as i began talking about physics and expressing my interest in being their teacher, the wind started blowing rather loudly outside. No matter, I thought. It is sunny out, and the walls will protect us from the dust. As I continued talking, the wind got louder. I could hear a lot of dust being blown around and when I looked out the window of the classroom I saw a small dust cyclone forming and moving across the school yard. No matter, I thought again, what better place to be in the event of heavy winds than inside a building made of brick? I continued talking about the goals of our month long physics class and suddenly the building seemed to start to shake, then the roof made a very loud noise, and finally the tin started peeling back like the can of a sardine can! Finally, I was a bit frightened! The other students in the classroom got up out of their desks and ran out of the room. I ran for the corner with one other student and took shelter behind the door. As quickly as it began, the wind storm was over.
After I realized the wind was done, I looked around the room and asked the students outside if they were okay, and everyone told me they were fine. This would have been most dangerous for anyone walking outside, as half of the roof of our classroom building tore off and was thrown to the ground. Thank God that it landed on bare ground and no one was around to get hit by it.
This got me thinking, is God trying to send me a message? Maybe I am not supposed to be a Physics teacher? This was the only classroom that was effected. This was not a normal class period time, so most of the other classrooms were empty. The roof just happened to blow off of the one classroom where I was trying to teach my first Physics class.
All is well now. Yesterday we did some review and I begain teaching about electric force and Coulomb's law today and the other classroom we were in stayed in tact despite the few light breezes blowing the pages of my book. I will continue teaching...but will never forget my first day as a physics teacher...when the roof literally blew off from over our heads!


More pictures from Imiliwaha to come tomorrow...

1 comment:

Charlie Sawyer said...

I am impressed that you are teaching physics. I think I forget everything we learned in college. Dont let a little storm stop you!