Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Birthday, St. Laurent's Style

This past week there was a birthday at St. Laurent's! When your parent's supply the cake and juice for the school, you can have a party with THE WHOLE SCHOOL! I would like to invite 506 of my school mates to my next birthday party! 
Here is Josephat and I think his best friend at the head table. Josephat is the one on the right.


There was even an MC, kids rapping and singing popular gospel songs, and of course plenty of AZAM orange drink and mini cupcakes. mmmm.


Indeed. Thumbs up.


Here is the main man getting ready to cut his cake. 


After the cake was cut, Josephat fed certain people cake. This is a Tanzanian tradition i think. I was honored to be one of those chosen to be fed. As you can see, so was Lennart.

They made that sign for me. 


A group of my standard VII girls enjoying the party.
After almost two hours of celebration, it did get kind of long, though :)
You can also see from the top picture that this birthday was celebrated on St. Patrick's day! Not much more of a celebration for this feast, but I did take the opportunity to wear all green all day long, and speak a few words of Gaelic instead of Swahili. Happy St. Paddy's day!

Earlier tonight we gathered with all of the students again after dinner and watched Toy Story 2 in the assembly area. I had to do quite a bit of leg work around Hanga today rounding up the necessary equipment (projector, extension cord, speakers, popcorn...) but in the end it was all worth it to hear 400+ laughing together at Buzz and Woody. 

Tomorrow we will gather together again for a little going away party for me and Anne. We will both leave Hanga on Tuesday! That means only one or two more posts from this Hanga computer lab. it's been quite a run. Thanks for reading. the next pictures will be from the going away party! maybe i will get to feed people cake...

No comments: