Wednesday, July 16, 2008

US Embassy

We are still in Dar es Salaam and today we went to visit the US Embassy! One of the monks here that is studying in Washington state needed to renew his visa and so we decided to come along and see what the embassy was like. Charlie and I, of course, didn't need to wait in any of the long lines. We simply showed the guards our US passports and it was like we were VIPs. I took the opportunity to register with them to say I will be here for the next 9 months or so.

When we were around the city this morning we also chatted with a few americans. One man at the embassy who has been living in Tanzania running an NGO for the past 7 years and another man who went to Concordia in MN and played the Johnnies in football! He said he grew up in Detroit lakes. He is just visiting the country for a bit with a friend from Botswana. It was nice to speak in fast english for a bit, as we are hearing mainly Swahili everywhere around the guest house, even. I suppose this is the fastest way to learn, though.

Time for lunch pretty soon. I also got a cell phone yesterday so I may be giving some of you a call from Africa sometime soon.

Peace
-ben

No comments: