Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Back to Songea...and Hanga

As I was sitting at breakfast on Sunday in Dar es Salaam planning my day starting with Mass at the Cathedral at 11:45, i was informed that the car to Hanga was leaving in the early afternoon! I had to cancel lunch with Ariel, and quickly start my laundry so it could dry before i had to pack it, but I was happy to be headed back to Hanga...finally.

I couldn't leave Dar without saying hello to my friend Aiden, who I met when I was there in July. this first photo is of us. (notice his Tanzanian soccer jersey next to my American football vikings jersey!)

I was very glad to ride with Br. Kizito all the way back to Hanga. we couldn't do the trip all in one day, so we stayed the night at a very nice hostel in Makumbuko (sp?) I had my own bathroom, a nice bed, and even a TV in my room where i could watch the BBC news. all for only 6000 Tsh a night. cant beat it. This picture is of Kizito buying potatoes the next morning on the road along the way home. This was after we stopped in Njombe for breakfast.


It was good to arrive back in Songea during the day. I had a chance to walk around again, check the mail at the post office, and even write and send a letter to Honduras :) here are some nice scenic pictures of the city from the second floor of the Amani shop...the building that Hanga monastery owns in Songea.


I was worried that I would be fired from teaching because i missed the first day back on Monday! (we didnt' arrive in Hanga until Monday evening) At school on Tuesday morning, though, the students told me that they didn't have any class at all on Monday. I was relieved. In the afternoon yesterday I went back to Songea with Br. Kastor (the headmaster of the primary school i teach at) we needed to get some pencil boxes made and buy a door handle. of course we had to stop and chat with everyone in the town that Kastor knows too. it was fun, though because i got introduced to a lot of new faces! maybe they will recognize me next time i am in Songea... OH! and we also got some ice cream at SuperCafe after eating Chips Mayai at the Mtini pub. It was a good afternoon.

more projects to keep busy today! and there will be more to do tomorrow. it is good to be busy again...

all for now.

3 comments:

Bhupinder said...

Nice to read about your experience.
this brings back my childhood memories of Songea 1962-1964. I studied at Songea Secondary Boys School as a day student. Would like to see some more photos of the place.
happy teaching, good luck.

Bhupinder

Feorama said...

Hey Ben, accidently did I get to your blog, when I was looking for new pictures from Songea. Small World.
Have you been there again?
Do you remember the night when we watched films at Simba's and the electricity broke down?
Best wishes Christian

Ryan said...

Wow, a fellow Minnesotan! Nice blog you have! I was trying to find out about Songea. It looks like you had a great time!