Saturday, September 20, 2008

Two weeks in Dar

Strange to think it has already been two full weeks in the big city. I have been keeping busy seeing the city. Here are some pictures of the Catholic Cathedral that I went to for Mass in english last Sunday! it was nice to be able to fully participate. it has been almost 3 months since i have been able to do that.


Below is a picture of Ariel and me with the family of one of his students. They invited us over to visit at the beginning of last week. Though most of the conversation for the 4 hours we were there was in Kiswahili, it was good practice for me to listen and try and follow!

It looks like I will be headed back to Hanga on Monday of this week. That is when a car is going back. It will be nice to ride with someone and keep him company, and also not have to ride on the bus alone!

Once back in Hanga the thing i will miss the most will be the variety of food i have been enjoying around Dar. It has been a lot of fun eating this week :) I have had:

american hamburgers
steak
ethiopian
indian
italian (well, pizza)
milkshakes
ice cream cones
real coffee

It is nice to know these foods still exist and I will be able to enjoy them next time i am in Dar. And back home! i am also thankful for the food at the monastery, though. they do a great job, but sometimes i just crave some pizza!

all for now. look for pictures soon of the new coffee maker i bought yesterday to bring back to hanga with me. mmmmm Kilimanjaro coffee...freshly brewed...

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hey Hey Ben!

Dar looks like it would be a very unique and interesting city to explore! Sweet!

That must have been quite a rush to run into Dave Sexton and Patty in Dar - I bet for sure Patty was quite taken a back! ha ha - I told my other friends that you said hi to her - they want to know more about her reaction. How did you know which one was her?

My aunt got the St. John's Abbey Banner magazine in the mail yesterday - and there is a article all about you and your travels (well it's included with the other benedictine volunteer guys) but I thought it was pretty cool - just wanted to share that with ya! I will keep it and give it to you when you return!

Take care - safe travels back!