Thursday, August 7, 2008

No School Tomorrow?

I was again reminded of the African way of planning at dinner tonight when I was informed that I wouldn't have school tomorrow! I guess August 8 is something like Labor Dar here in Tanzania. What surprised me was that as I left the school today and said, "see you tomorrow!" no one let me know that there wouldn't be class. I suppose i will just show up a little early in the morning, and if there isn't any class, maybe i can join the Italians and Fr. Angelo on their trip to Songea :)

Here is a picture of my class of 50 6th graders. This week has been better than last teaching them. I think they are getting to like me. and i can recognize familiar faces when i walk into class every morning. The first couple days i didn't really recognize anyone...and had to double check to make sure i was in the right room.

Other than class, I have been spending my afternoons doing a lot of reading...and watching movies :) I am staying busy, though. I am looking forward to seeing if there will be much Olympic coverage here, as the games begin tomorrow. Beijing is just 5 hours ahead of us here. I found out today that Tanzania has 10 athletes competing in the games: 8 runners and 2 swimmers. So cheer for them!

Also pictured below is the progress on the new "stage" that will be complete for the Jubilee celebration. Cant wait for that day of fun! and when i say day...i mean it will last ALL DAY!

all for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben!

Glad to see the trip is going well for you, and thanks for keeping the blog updated, love reading how the experience is going. Stay safe and have fun bud!

CSand said...

Hey Ben! I love reading your posts. It renews my excitement every time I read them and see the news pictures. Seriously--Sara and I are PUMPED UP to get to Africa. When is the Jubilee exactly? If we're around, we'd love to come (we fly in on Sept. 4th, but will not get to our Monastery until about the 7th or 8th).

Could you take a few snapshots of the sunrise or sunset, if you get a chance? Or a wild animal or two? That'd be fantastic.

Well, I guess we'll probably be seeing each other in the sooner rather than later future. Until then, hakuna matata :)

~Cara